EU & international
Voluntary activities are also an important issue at EU level and internationally.
As part of the European Year of Volunteering 2011, the Member States were supported in the following:
- Creating favourable conditions for voluntary work
- Strengthening volunteers' organisations
- Improving the quality of voluntary work
- Appreciating and recognising voluntary work
- Raising public awareness for the significance of voluntary work.
Originating from the European Year of Volunteering, a programme was created for continuing the work carried out in the field of volunteering in Austria, and www.freiwilligenweb.at became the central platform for networking and information.
As part of the EU programme Erasmus+, young people between 17 and 30 can carry out voluntary work abroad.